Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-05 > 0895807263

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Lagganeers
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:21:03 -0400

Does anyone know if reprints of this book are available?

Alex G. Leaky, "The History of the Lagan Presbytery"

My feeble LDS bibliographic skills lead me to believe that the FH Library
in Salt. Lake City has the book FHL British 941.63 but not on microfiche or
film.

I have photocopies of the first 35 pages from the Salt Lake City text and I
am finding my own. The Lagganeers were clearly the predecessors of the
"fighting Presbyterians" of Lancaster County, PA. They formed armed
companies and resisted the Irish Rebellion of 1641 and maintained the
independence of Derry. The Pennsylvania "fighting Presbyterians" came from
Raphoe and Donegal Townships and the Lagganeers were centered around north
Raphoe Parish in Donegal.

This John Cowan of St. Johnstown that I'm interested in and who is probably
something like my 8th great uncle raised a force of 100 foot soldiers and
was a Captain in 1688/89 for the Defence of Derry. His father Robert Cowan
exercised the obligations of a host and provided quarters for King James at
St. Johnstown when the King made his appearance at the initial stage of the
Siege, the King not knowing that his host's son was a resistance leader.
They even had a saying in the Laggan District, "Was not King James a great
fool to leave that place [as guest of Archdeacon Hamilton in Mongavlin
Castle on the Foyle] to go and live in Robin Cowan's of of St. Johnston?"
The Cowans are also named in the poem, "The Siege of Londonderry."

The Lagganeers are said to have had a "gie guid conceit o' themsels" and
toasted on festive occasions, "Oorsels, and wha's like us!"

John

Cowan, County Down
McClay, County Tyrone
MacLea, Argyll