Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1997-08 > 0871795495

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Re: Scots in Donegal, Pt. 3
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:24:55 -0400

Hello Gareth,

At the time I did the research I was examining all Cowans in the
plantation period. It seemed logical to explore the Coloquhoun plantation
for possible Cowan tenants.
There were none. However, there was a John Cowen, Gent. from St.
Johnstown, just north of Raphoe, and a John Cowan, a defender of Derry,
possibly the same as the John Cowan, merchant of Londonderry who received a
grant of a lease from the Hamilton estate.

Subsequently, I found (in the 1850 Armstrong County, PA census, first
census to state location of alien birth) that the Cowan line I am related
to is from County Down. Interestingly enough, in the Civil War period in
the U.S., one of my 3rd great-uncles or some such relation had the name,
Gilmer Cowan. Gilmer is one of the family names in Dunbartonshire on the
lands once owned by Colquhouns.

I enjoy and take great pleasure in Scottish Country Dancing, as does my son
and his wife. We wear the Colquhoun tartan. My 13 year old daughter is a
highland dancer; she wears it as well.

But what you are really getting at is methodology. After one explores all
the potential choices available and gathers as much information as can be
had from a diverse assortment of information bases, social, religious,
hisorical, genealogical, and so on, one makes an informed and educated
guess as to the most probable choice.

Collecting information on the Colquhoun plantation in Donegal was a step in
that information gathering process.

John Giacoletti

Cowan, County Down
McClay, County Tyrone