Isle-of-Thanet-L Archives

Archiver > Isle-of-Thanet > 2005-02 > 1109074915

From: "suzannah.foad" <>
Subject: Re: Minster Workhouse Rules and Regulations
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:21:55 -0000

Hi Dick,

Some from a Small Booklet on Minster Workhouse, other bits from Newspapers I
have in my collection.
In the summer of 1849 an outbreak of Asiatic cholera led to several deaths
in the workhouse in one week and all the able bodied inmates were sent out
of the house and given out door relief. The epidemic lasted for three months
during which time, some 64 fatal cases were recorded in Ramsgate over a
period of two months.
A similar epidemic re-occurred in 1854 and early the following year the
authority urged Guardians to built new fever wards. The guardians replied
that this wasn't necessary. AS you know Cholera broke out again, nationally
in 1869.

Regards
Suzannah