GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2006-04 > 1144015593

Subject: Re: GENEALOGY-DNA-D Digest V06 #370
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:06:33 EDT

Hello to All,
I'd like to start off by saying I'm new to DNA studies. That said, I
think I have something to share that might relate to the experience some are
having with finding DNA matches (of varying degrees) to surnames other than
their own. And I've heard or read where some might call some matches of this
type "a none parental event" or words to that effect. And I'm sure in some
cases that may very well be the case. But I'd like to offer another possibility
or way of thinking towards future research of connection between two or more
surnames.
My maiden name is FINLEY and going way back we are connected to the Clan
FIONNLAGH. But I've learned that way back some of the clan took on
different surnames: examples: MacEarachar or Farquharson or McFinlay or Finlayson,
and of this branch Fionnlodh or Finlay or Finley.

I'd like to share an example from my own genealogical research on my
FINLEY lineage. My father traces back to:
1. Findlaech McRuaidhri (FINLEY) (d. 1020) Earl of Moray -- father of
2. Macbeth / MACBETH MAC FINDLAECH
Macbeth's pedigree, in MS Rawl B. 502, a believed reliable source of
genealogies, shows his descent from Ferchair, who held the kingship of Dalriada in
the late seventh century.
MACBETH's death ended a dynasty (Ireland and Scotland). At the time of
his death, his children were young, so the Clan FIONNLAGH placed his stepson,
LULACH, on the throne. He only reigned 6 months, being defeated and slain at
Eske in Strathbogie by the Saxon invaders and the rebellious adherents of
Malcolm CANMORE.
After LULACH, no other member of the Clan FIONNLAGH has been on the throne
of Scotland to the present day. Members of the clan became hunted outlaws,
long before religious persecution drove them from the British Isles. And this
may be reason why some changed their names.
3. MacBeatha McFinlay b. 1045 Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; d. 1093
Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; md. 1079 Bethoca McBrad daughter of
Andrew McBrad
MacBeatha McFinley, Thane of Cromarty; (b. bef. 1057 in Cromarty ; d. 1093)
Married Bethoca, daughter of Andrew McBrad (McBride.)
Macbeatha McFinlay, a younger son of Macbeth, was 1060-1093, Thane of
Cromarty; married Bethoca, daughter of Andrew McBrad (McBride.)
4. Ruari (Rory) McFinlay b. 1080 Cromarty, Ross Cromarty, Scotland (source
Patricia GUINIVAN Apt. 19 767 Springfield Avenue Summit, NJ 07901 as per
FamilySearch.Com)
Thane of Crumbacty (Cromarty), 1100 to 1152
5. Fergus McFinlay b. 1145 Aberdeenshire, Scotland; d. Ross and Cromarty,
Scotland; md. McHardy (MacHardy): md. ??
6. Eugenius McFinlay b./ 1184 Perthshire, Scotland; d. 1223 Aberdeenshire,
Scotland; md. ??
7. Fearchar McFinlay b. 1210;
CHIEF OF CLAN Fionnladh (b. 1236, Aberdeenshire) (Held large tracts at
Strathdie, Parish of Crothie, in the Braes of Mar, head of Aberdeenshire, in 1236.
Chief of Clan Fionnladh, as sept of the confederation of Clan Chattan.)
Married Daughter and heiress of Patrick MCDONACHADH.
In the year of 1236, in the Braces of May, the head of Aberdeenshire, there
was a certain Chief named Fearchar, who was head of a powerful Clan known in
the Highlands as Clan Fionnladh. This sect of the great confederation Clan
Chattan, held large possessions and from earliest accounts had located in
Strathdie in the Parish of Crothie.
From this Fearchar, the Clan takes the name of MacEarachar or Farquharson.
The Chiefs were lineally descended from the ancient Thanes of Moray and Ross
of whom the most famous was Macbeth.
The descendants of this Fearchar had settled on the borders of the Countries
of Perth and Angus. Some took the name of MacEaracher or Farquharson,
others the name of McFinlay or Finlayson, and of this branch Fionnlodh or Finlay
or Finley.

This makes me wonder if of the surname Farquharson's of various
spellings would match any of the Finley's of various spellings?
Warmly,
Linda Finley Rogers-Fefferman

This thread: